Board Meeting Minutes
April 18, 2011
Sioux Falls Ramada & Conference Call
Present: Rebecca Dykema, Laura Woitte, Twyla Fritz, Jim Carlon, Steve Blair, and Joyce Vos
The meeting was called to order at 11:04am. M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to move into Executive Session.
M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to move into General Session at 12:16pm.
M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to Notice the licensee in case #2010-01 to a contested case hearing.
M/S/P Fritz/Woitte to schedule Lindsey Battey for a licensing hearing.
1. M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to schedule Steven Jonson for a licensing hearing.
2. Staff informed the Board of her complaint filed against two chiropractors in Spearfish for employing and advertising an unlicensed massage therapist.Having legislation to grant the board the authority to charge a civil penalty against the businesses that employ illegal massage therapists was mentioned.
3. The board discussed the legislative amendments to SDCL36-35-14 & 16 to be effective July 1 that were spearheaded by Senator Adelstein and Representative Sly. The board was not in favor of either piece of legislation and Staff was not consulted or made aware of Rep Sly's changes to SDCL36-35-16 as implied.
4. The board discussed various Codes of Ethics in order to adopt a set or draft their own. It was tabled until it was learned whether the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) had Codes to consider.
5. The proposed FY12 consultant contract was considered. M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to approve the contract as submitted.
6. M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to approve the February 4, 2011 Minutes as presented.
7. Dykema will attend the annual FSMTB meeting in October with their complimentary travel package. M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to approve the continued membership in FSMTB.
8. The current financials, list of Inactive Licensees, and Expired Licensees were provided as informational. Dykema suggested trying to increase the line item for advertising, which is used for advertising proposed Administrative Rules.
M/S/P Woitte/Fritz to adjoin the meeting at 12:40pm